Thursday, December 6, 2007

Day 5 (Part I) - Food, Glorious Food


Miso is finally getting to enjoy the great things in life - cuddles, long walks, soft beds, and great food! I've spent a lot of time researching dog diets in the past two years, and after a bout of raw and then home cooking, I've found two products I like that let me feed how I want without the work of daily preparation - The Honest Kitchen and Primal (although I microwave their raw patties as my dogs eat better when their food is cooked).

Miso's very first meal with me was a breakfast favorite: scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, and cheddar cheese! I've never seen a dog eat faster than my Pug, Harley, but wow, Miso licked her bowl clean!

Tim told me Miso has been on California Naturals kibble while she's been at the SPCA. I definitely think kibble is a smart choice for shelters (could you imagine their food budget otherwise?), but now that Miso is with me, I think she'll find the variety of beef, chicken, duck, lamb, and other protein sources a delicious alternative!


So far, she has been extremely well-behaved while waiting for her meals
(no whining or pacing - just an obedient, sitting Pit Bull), and a devoted eater once her crate door is closed! Since she's not overly fond of walking into her crate yet (although she does great once she's inside), I'm using feeding time as an opportunity to teach her the "Crate" command. Harley and Chubby know they have to walk all the way into their crates before their food bowl is set before them. Eventually, Miso will get that too.

The only caveat in switching her food like this is her getting the runs! I have been supplementing her meals with canned pureed pumpkin, which has helped in the battle against diarrhea. Especially since we're still working on potty training, it's important not to have to contend with the urgency (and frequency) of runny butt!

But other than the occasional soft stool, Miso is LOVING her new diet program and all the yummy treats and bully sticks she gets for being such a Luvlee Lady!

No comments: